- Grades 9 to 12
- Average above 70% (or B) in the last two years of schooling.
- Reference letter from a school principal or a teacher.
Before being admitted into the program and coming to Canada, students must have language skills that allow them to function and learn easily in French. To assess their level of proficiency, Conseil scolaire Viamonde uses the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) and targets level B1 so that students can function in an academic program taught in French. Thus, students who want to study at a Conseil scolaire Viamonde school must have the following skills: :
- can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.;
- can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest;
- can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.*
*As in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CECR).
It should be noted that all applications will be reviewed by the School Board by an admissions committee and, during this process, students will need to undergo a series of evaluations to assess their oral and written language skills. In addition, where applicable, Conseil scolaire Viamonde reserves the right to administer oral and written tests to assess students’ mathematics skills. Lastly, an interview over the phone or through Skype will be required to assess the students’ skills.
Students enrolled in this program are entitled to receive support in French to help them reach their academic goals. We highly recommend that students complete at least two years of schooling entirely or mostly in French in their country of origin before applying to the Viamonde International program.
Students must also have some language skills in English (reading, writing and oral communication) since one English course per year is compulsory in the curriculum. Otherwise, they can take an English course for beginners.