Here you will find the replies to our frequently asked questions. If you did not find the information you were looking for, please contact us.

The Board will accept applications for the school year beginning in September on the 31th of May. For the second semester, applications will be accepted until November 15th.

Visit the school calendar for 2021-2022.

Conseil scolaire Viamonde will make every effort to enroll the student in the neighborhood school closest to the home of the caretaker or custodian. Note, however, that it is not always possible to enroll the student in the local school. Under these conditions, the Conseil scolaire Viamonde reserves the right to determine which school will attend the student.

International students may choose to live with a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or a foster family.

Yes, you can make your own accommodation arrangements for the duration of the program however, the host family must adhere to the following conditions:

  1. The guardian responsible for the international pupil must be 25 years of age or older.
  2. The guardian must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada (required by Citizenship and Immigration Canada).
  3. The guardian is responsible for completing the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Custodian Declaration form.
  4. The application for independent accommodation must be approved by the Conseil scolaire Viamonde.

International students may remain enrolled in an educational program. He or she can apply for the program for a period of one year (10 months) or one semester (5 months). If the student wishes to continue his studies in the program, he must reapply for the following year and renew his study permit.

Study permits are issued by Employment and Immigration Canada, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, and Canadian embassies and consulates around the world. The first study permit that a student receives must be requested from outside Canada (usually from the student's country). The residence visa only allows them to study as part of a program lasting six months or less. For more information, please visit the Study Permit page on the Government of Canada website.

Yes, provided that you have taken the required courses and obtained sufficient marks to be eligible for university. In some cases, international students who have been enrolled in high school programs in Canada for at least four years will not be required to take the exam for admission to a college or university.

The Viamonde International program provides health insurance to international students. The certificate will be sent to you before you arrive in Canada. 

Students should consider arriving one to two weeks before the course starts in order to move into the foster family, adjust to jet lag and organize. They must check with the Reception Office whether a recommended orientation session will be offered before the course starts.

Yes, parents are invited to visit their children during their studies at Viamonde. It is recommended that parents wait a few months to allow their child to adapt to their new environment and their new routine. Visiting family members must take care of their own accommodation.

International students who are in high school are not permitted to work or volunteer while in Canada. However, some students enrolled in post-secondary programs may apply for employment.

Yes, if the student's passport and study permit are valid and have not expired while absent from Canada, they may return.